I came to such a sad realization this morning as I was lying awake in bed. Last night Brennan had soccer practice and they were running drills. I wasn't there, but Gabe said it was pretty simple--"get in front of the ball." Gabe was pretty bothered by the fact that Brennan just couldn't get it. Every time it was Brennan's turn to get in front of the ball, he would just let the ball go by and then chase after the boy that just passed him. Now I know that a lot of people will take one look and Brennan and think it's just because he can't talk/doesn't understand and give up on him. It's happened before, it will happen again. But it really bothers me when it's Gabe or anyone that loves him. If a wheelchair could solve his problem, I would get him one--who wouldn't? if he needed glasses, a hearing aid, an inhaler, anything! It just so happens Brennan needs someone to explain things to him. What people don't realize is that Brennan will understand what you're saying, if you show him and get him to pay attention. It's kinda like everyone around him is speaking Chinese. How would it work if everyone around you was speaking a different language really fast and you were a little boy that likes to try but doesn't really care? A lot of it is showing, not just saying the same words over and over again, expecting him to understand. Like speaking English to a deaf person, a Japanese person, a French person--it's not gonna work. Plus, he's a little boy, of course he's gonna be distracted. And if he doesn't understand what you're saying, he's gonna guess what to do and that's not always going to be right. This is such a critical time for him just before kindergarten and if we don't make some good strides here in the next year or so, we will have seriously let this lil guy down. Brennan will make good strides because he is so smart, but it takes a lot of work = patience, explanation, and a lot of learning life experiences. it just really bothers me when these valuable learning experiences arise and people just quit on him and say, "he just doesn't understand." What right do you have to be upset, disappointed, or even just plain bothered when you're the one that quit on him? I am no saint, i find myself quitting on him when i'm in the middle of something, i need time to myself, i'm tired, i'm lacking patience, i,i,i,i,i,i,i,i,i.... it's frustrating, no doubt. but it's not Brennan's fault. he didn't ask for this, he just needs someone to explain the chinese.

Brennan @ 2 years old
3 comments:
Jaye you are so amazing! Brennan is a lovable little guy and he will get it. You have taught me so much in life and am so grateful for you and I know how lucky all your kids are to have you and Gabe in their corners cheering them on. I miss you terribly and hope that all is well.
Oh how I love my Brennen boy! I wish I could just gush on him for a second. We need to plan a date!
I love that sweet little guy. I will never ever forget the first time (and only) that he kissed me on the cheek. I seriously melted.
You are such a good mom. Both you and Gabe do such a good job with your kids. Thanks for being an inspiration to me. :)
Post a Comment