Gabe and I are definitely proud Americans--is pride a bad thing? A while ago, I was at the gym running on the treadmill, watching a Mariners game. It was time for the Star Spangled Banner and without hesitation I stopped running and put my hand on my heart. I was a little embarassed when I looked around and no one else stopped, people just kept working out and talking, laughing, etc. I thought, "oh shoot." But I realized that I felt a little embarassed for everyone else. Why is it not cool to stop for the Star Spangled Banner? That's what I was always taught--no matter where you are, if you hear the song, stop and listen and reflect. Even flipping through channels, gabe stops if he hears it. if you have a flag, proudly show it, right? needless to say i found it a little difficult to stand on my own, in the FRONT row of treadmills, and do what I thought was right. I was a little saddened that day.
On a much happier note, I can't explain how happy I am that the Olympics are on. I ♥ the Olympic games. I just noticed last night how much the Olympics can pull people together. There were a couple of single macho manly-men at the house and the first thing they did was sit down and turn the TV to the Olympics. They were glued to the TV like it was the superbowl. The event they were watching? Men's gymnastics, of course. Not that men's gymnastics is anything to belittle, but these two guys are the first in a room to make fun of dudes "prancing" around in tights. I figured out why I cry so dang much. I am a fan of teamwork, sportsmanship, and the pure joy I feel when I see athletes representing our country.




3 comments:
I know how you feel. In San Diego we were the only people on the street at the parade that stood for the flag. It was dumb founding. We too have Olympics Feva! GO PHELPS!!!!! That guy is a machine. My other favorites to watch is Misty May and Karrie Walsh, they're so sweet. I miss you dude!
That is so awesome. Good for you. It is pretty sad that so many americans just don't even think about how stinking lucky we are to live in the United States. I wish that I would have been there. Miss you so much! Jen
Jaye, you are awesome! It is hard standing alone. I miss you and I hope that y'all are having fun.
Post a Comment